Ducks Unlimited Member Forums

Posted 2/1/2013 8:37:08 AM

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 3/28/2014 11:45:23 AM
Looking to get the Versa max. im wondering if i should get a 26 inch or the 28 inch barrel. Duck goose and turkey hunting. Any opinions?
Post #771831
Add to Twitter Add to Facebook
 Posted 2/1/2013 7:12:32 PM

Last Login: 2 hours ago
Mine's a 28" Personally I like that length, but in reality barrel length makes no difference other than swing (i.e. obstacles).

"When you hear my third shot.....that's your signal to take 'em."
-Phil Robertson
Post #771837
 Posted 3/4/2013 1:20:18 PM

Last Login: 3/6/2013 2:50:58 PM
Doesn't really matter.  The velocity change between lengths is probably as little as a few to AT MOST 20fps per inch - that's nothing.  I think the load hits max velocity at around 20" or something.  Pattern doesn't really change - that's your choke.  What it will affect is sight plane and balance.  Balance - I have the 28" versa and it's balanced perfectly for me - can hardly tell I'm holding the thing.  Sight plane - Longer barrel would theoretically be more precise on longer shots but a little trickier on in-your-face shots.  Most of the gobbler gunners I know use shorter barrel shotguns (like 24") but turkey shooting is a different kind of bird(har har).  Only other variable is your size.  But that would go back to balance I suppose.

My 2 cents - 2" doesn't make any difference to me.  I would prefer to have those 2" though.  

Oh, came across this from Remington's Q&A.  Guess I wasn't far off. haha:

"Modern smokeless powders burn in the first 13 to 16 inches of the barrel and maximum velocities are obtained in the first 20 inches. Shot will carry the same distance regardless of the barrel length. Shot pattern will be the same whether thebarrel is 21 inches in length or 30 inches in length, if the barrel has the same choke constriction.
Our experts state there would be a small variation in velocity when using a 21-inch barrel as compared with a 30-inchbarrel; however, the variation would be immeasurable.

The basic advantage of a shorter barrel is that it will swing faster. The longer barrel gives the hunter a longer sight radius to be more precise, particularly when pass shooting waterfowl. Also, the longer barrel can often help balance certain shotgunsbetter."
Post #772218
 Posted 3/16/2013 4:25:14 PM

Last Login: 3/16/2013 4:18:26 PM
I have a 28" barrel and personally love the gun. As far as turkey hunting, if you are in thick woods, you better get the shorter barrel. If you are goose hunting, get the longer barrel... I have a Super Vinci with a 26 barrel and love it for the duck boat and thick woods. 

Good luck, again this is only my opinion. I have both and really would say it is your preference on which way you go.. 

I have had a few issues with my versa max. I have had some issue with shells not being feed into the chamber and the stock was coming loose every time I fired the gun. Remington was great to fix both and sent me a new case with chokes back... Nothing but good things to say about Remington's Customer service A++ compared to Benelli... 
Post #772305
 Posted 3/18/2013 9:22:35 AM

Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:12:02 AM
was at cabelas the other day they had it on sale for 800 bucks might want to jump on that if you want one.
Post #772322
 Posted 3/18/2013 5:53:12 PM

Last Login: 2 hours ago
BDhunter (3/18/2013)
was at cabelas the other day they had it on sale for 800 bucks might want to jump on that if you want one.

probably a good idea...I can't even find one around here, everybody's sold out of them!

"When you hear my third shot.....that's your signal to take 'em."
-Phil Robertson
Post #772326