What Yall think about the Stoeger

http://ducks.org/news-media/messageboards/Topic771541.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By mudbug - 1/13/2013 1:27:41 PM
Thinking about getting the stoeger 3500. What Yall think about that gun. I'am a duck hunter. I hunt in the salt water marsh of south east Louisiana.
By chadandy12 - 1/14/2013 8:55:05 AM
Never had anyone with great luck with them. Had a few buddies that tried them and had nothing but problems. Id it were me and I was thining of that line I would go with the Franchi they seem to be made better than the stoeger and still use the same technology as Benelli. Only thing is it looks like the gun your looking at shoots up to 3.5" shells where as the Franchi looks like they only make an auto in max of 3".
By GADUCKDOG - 1/14/2013 10:51:51 AM
I have had one for a few months and I love it.  No problem so far other than it has some troubles shooting light 2 3/4 loads.  But all my turkey and duck loads have worked great.
By flannel - 1/15/2013 6:20:25 PM
chadandy12 (1/14/2013)
Never had anyone with great luck with them. Had a few buddies that tried them and had nothing but problems. Id it were me and I was thining of that line I would go with the Franchi they seem to be made better than the stoeger and still use the same technology as Benelli. Only thing is it looks like the gun your looking at shoots up to 3.5" shells where as the Franchi looks like they only make an auto in max of 3".

really? I know the 2000 is a pile of crap, but the 3500 is supposed to be a HUGE improvement
By chadandy12 - 1/16/2013 2:24:03 PM
I am not sure about that specific model, just stoeger in general I have had three buddies buy them all were different models (one was even a side by side) and all of them were traded in due to jamming issues even including the side by side which I thought would have been flawless.
By jerbehr - 1/19/2013 1:51:21 PM
I had a Stoeger 2000, never had any problems with it.  Sold it because the stock didn't fit me right
By Ben S. - 1/19/2013 10:41:33 PM
I love my Stoeger 3500. I have a Mossberg 835 I've used for years and just recently acquired the Stoeger 3500. I have never used a semi before, so the adjustment from pump to semi was difficult to overcome at first. However, once I broke it in and got used to the feel I have really enjoyed shooting it. I have been impressed with the quality of the gun so far for $600 out the door. In this case your getting a lot of gun for the money. Stoeger isn't a Franchi or Browning, but they have done one thing that those companies haven't - accommodate for the common man. My gun is the Black model - only one I could find within a 35 mile radius of where I live.  My overall assessment of the Stoeger is a 9/10.  I really like the accessories it comes with. The shim kits I could see being useful for those with awkward arm lengths or young teens growing into it as they get older. The factory chokes are decent, and the recoil reducer is a nice plus.It helps with the 3 1/2's. With my hunting gear on, I can hardly feel a 3" knock against my shoulder. First bird with it was a Gadwall. 

In my opinion you can't go wrong with the Stoeger. One of my hunting buddies bought the 3000 and it is a great gun too. I shouldered it and to me it was more ergonomic feeling and less bulky (obviously since its not chambered in 3 1/2") but for the extra $50 I caved and went for the 3 1/2". 

Not saying that Browning, Benelli, Franchi, Mossberg, etc.. don't make good guns, its just for the money you can't go wrong with a Stoeger. 

Good luck!
By mudbug - 1/20/2013 12:00:51 AM
It looks like a nice gun for the price. Same internal pars as the Beneili . The middle class working man can't pay $1000 to $2000 for a gun. Not when you have a wife to support.
By RxHunter - 1/20/2013 6:10:54 PM
I have 2 m3500s. I love them. I have never had one jam or had any problems with them. In fact, I think I'm going to buy another one in the spring.
By Zmac - 1/20/2013 7:16:34 PM
I bought the M2000 for this past season and did not have an issue with it. Shot 3" and 2 3/4" of all different types with no problems. Great gun in my opinion.
By DuckJunk - 1/21/2013 11:52:08 AM
Bought my son a M3500 last season.  He mainly uses 3" #4 for ducks, we did use it a little with 3 1/2" BB for some goose shooting last winter and it has worked fine. 

He used it with 2 3/4" #7.5, for sporting clays all this spring with no problems.  Same load for doves this fall.  The only problems he ever ran into was on cycling some OLD loads we ran through it, that I had found buried in the garage.  Those had Otasco stickers on them, that would date them as being bought back in the 80's.  So actually i was amazed that they even fired at all.

Overall, it has been a very nice gun for him. 
By stoeger3500 - 2/9/2013 9:54:31 PM
i bought one right before the season and i love it no problems easy breakdown tons of adjments total package for a great price
By LuvGodsCreatures - 4/6/2013 9:14:13 PM
This is my First DU post and I am a bran new DU member I love what DU does and what it stands for!!

I bought a single shout stoger 12ga that accepts 3" shells and also accepts chokes 100 bucks bran new ..on a close out deal. I couldn't pass it up. I shot it a couple times to pattern in and then within about 3 days of spring Turkey season last year I had my turkey at 20 yards... It's made in the same factory and Benelli and so far has been a great gun for me!!
By Honker-Konker - 4/11/2013 1:47:10 PM
I bought a M3500 a couple years ago and I have absolutely abused it. It's been used in temperatures of 90 degrees all the way down to 10 below. It's been covered in mud, rain, snow, and ice. I've used it as a paddle when the trolling motor quit working. It's probably had 1000 rounds fired through it from hunting and shooting clays. This gun will flat out perform no matter what you throw at it. 2 3/4in dove loads to 3 1/2in goose thumpers it shoots them all after being broke in. If something where to happen to my M3500 I'd go out and buy another the same day. 

I buy a waterfowl gun to hunt with, not to look pretty and break the bank. I need a gun that can handle 5 waterfowl seasons worth of hunting in just 1 season and the M3500 does just that. 
By hammer1 - 5/1/2013 3:13:52 PM
i had a m2000 and it was nothing but trouble. i would buy something else.
By stoeger3500 - 5/2/2013 7:48:53 PM
i had one for a year love it no problems after i broke i in it shoots all loads light target loads to heavy 3.5s
By Army of Dad - 5/10/2013 10:05:20 AM
I bought a M3500 not long after they came out and I love it! It fires almost anything you feed it (light loads might be an issue under certain conditions, but thats the same for benellis too).

Great gun for the money.
By DuckDestroyer - 5/27/2013 5:50:59 PM
I have had one for over a year I have had it FTF and double feed shells worst of all the FTF was with a teal floating in to me then I ejected the shell then FTF again and again then of course it flew off. The gun works 97% of the time but to me that is not acceptable in a hunting rig at any price a gun that does not work is a bad tool.  I am hoping to sell it for $575 and get a Beretta A300 Outlander or a Franchi Affinity - leaning to the Affinity with a 7 year warranty.
By riverdog - 1/21/2014 8:22:24 PM
I shot an m2000 for many years.  Worked just fine.  Shot where I pointed it every time.  Now it backs up my SBE 2.  But with both guns you have to be careful if you stand it up on the butt not to bump it on the ground too hard or the locking head will come unlocked...and it won't fire.  If you knock the gun around you just gotta thumb the bolt forward or check the extractor now and then to make sure it's where it should be when locked.  Other than that, keep it clean and it runs every time.
By talley2191 - 1/23/2014 7:00:03 PM
Been gunning the 3500 all season and we hunt 4/7 days. So far so good with nothing but Heavy Metal 3 1/2" shells. No jams or other issues. I installed a limbsaver stock pad, and extended choke as I wasn't crazy about the stock chokes. Proof is in the seasons to come though. I do like the 5 year warranty. Much better than the inferior Remington warranty. I'm pretty hard on gear. Maybe they should send some gear my way to test :)