???MudMotors??? Pros and Cons

http://ducks.org/news-media/messageboards/Topic771531.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Browning17 - 1/11/2013 8:36:20 PM
I'm looking to get a MudMotor for my Boat.  (1448 Grizzly Tracker)  All the reviews I have seen on MudMotors haven't been to good. I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this situation.  I want to get one, (BeaverTail or Surface Drive.)  Just not sure of any Pros and Cons of either style.  I Currently have an outboard and I'm beating the crap out of it getting in mud and hitting stumps. A little knowledge would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sweet Talk'm In...
By schumacherm - 1/13/2013 11:22:06 PM
if you've never checked it out before I suggest going on mudmotortalk.com there is a lot of knowledge on that site. But from what I've read and learned is that if you have a modified v jon, I'm guessing thats what you have since its a grizzly, a long tail motor would be best in the 18-23 hp range. Long tails perform better on the mod v than the surface drives do. also a long tail is cheaper since there are less moving parts. If you were to go with a surface drive you'd be able to go with a smaller motor say 12-18 hp and see fairly good speeds out of it but from what I understand a surface drive will perform best on a true flat bottom boat. But if you plan to go with any kind of mud motor make sure you install a grab bar on your boat and always always always wear your kill switch.

Pros to a surface drive- Speed, load carrying, turning radius

Cons to a surface drive- price, not so good in the mud, you'd need a different boat to see try performance out of a surface drive.

Pros to a long tail- Cheaper with less moving parts(now gear reduction being done) excellent in the mud/stumps the long tail allows you to dig in deep into the mud and find something for the prop to bite on

Cons to a long tail- The won't be as fast as a surface drive, they can't carry a load as well, they have a huge turning radius compared to a surface drive, no neutral, long tails will also beat you up and come close to tossing you out of the boat when you hit stumps and things like that the shaft will come flying out of the water and the tiller will do what ever it wants to and that even means giving you a nice charley horse... happened to me.
By Browning17 - 1/14/2013 10:51:33 AM
Thanks for taking the time to give me that information. Much appreciated. Also I will check out that forum.  

Sweet Talk'm In...
By mudbug - 1/20/2013 12:05:51 AM
I had a long tail Go Devil IT was a work out did not like it.You had to man handle it.
By sluggo25 - 4/6/2013 12:23:45 PM
Ive got a old 13hp mud buddy and I love it. got it on a 16ft double wide lowe. only bad thing is no reverse makes it a pain for when you are backing the boat in and have other partys lined up behind you. i would get a 35hp go devil long tail depending on how big your boat is
By luckyman - 8/20/2013 5:52:23 PM
I have a 36hp ProDrive and I love it! However, it is on a 18x60 true flat bottom boat. I bought it from Phowler boats and I can't say enough good things about them and the work they do. Great people and great boats!!!
By sluggo25 - 9/18/2013 5:35:28 PM
Ive got a old 13hp muddy buddy that is 15years plus old. Great motor got it on a 16ft Lowie. I have the long shaft model. only this I have hate is no reverse other than that its greats you anywhere you want and through anything in your path. the new muddy has reverse and I will be getting a 40hr surface drive one.
By Big Boy - 12/3/2013 6:26:48 PM
1854 excel with 42 hp black death. Great boat and motor.
By BlackBayouDuckman - 12/4/2013 11:54:49 AM
36Prodrive on 18/48 Prodrive boat.  FPB - FULL POWER BACKWARDS - Prodrive calls it Full Power Reverse.  I don't know why that guy said surface drives don't go in mud, they are awesome.  They will struggle a little in a very shallow and very hard (sand) bottom marsh.  Everywhere else, they outperform long tails in most aspects.  ProDrive, GatorTail, Go-Devil - all very good, all have thier stronger points.  Prodrive with full power reverse is almost unstoppable!