Lefever Nitro Special

http://nj.ducks.org/news-media/messageboards/Topic771260.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By flannel - 12/18/2012 7:29:14 PM
Considering gettin one of these old guns just for craps and giggles, anybody have experience with them?
The one I'm looking at is just a field model, 12 gauge and looks to be in good shape for a 90 year old gun.
By Chip W. - 12/26/2012 11:10:49 PM
Sounds fantastic - you'll just need to pay up for some soft non-tox (Kent TM, RST Nice-Shot or ITX) or maybe open up the chokes to IM or light modified and just take your chances with steel.  $2-3/pop for the first route, and a definite possibility of a ring bulge or sprung rib with the latter.  If it's just a fun gun you're taking out some of the time, a few boxes of the expensive stuff will be a drop in the bucket compared to all the other gear and gas involved in a hunting season and as long as it more or less fits you, that'll be one sweet feeling gun!  Go for it.
By flannel - 12/27/2012 1:08:13 PM
Thanks for the response! I would likely only shoot lead through it at clays or areas of upland bird where lead is still allowed. I have an ol' Remington M1900 that I love and is a family heirloom, so I wanted something similar that I could shoot more often without worrying about destroying a piece of family history. The Lefever seems like it would fit the bill, have you ever owned one or at least shot one? If so, what was your impression?