My Canoe Blind

http://www.ducksunlimited.org/news-media/messageboards/Topic769512.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Zmac - 8/21/2012 12:24:03 PM
So this is my first attempt at making a blind for my canoe. I usually push the back of the canoe into the reeds/ grass when hunting, so the idea was for it to function somewhat similar to a layout blind. The rear portion of the blind can be pushed forward when shooting and the front portion lifts up to allow access to gear. They are both attached to the main cross member using zip ties. I still have a little work to do on the camo, but though I would get some opinions on possible improvements. Let me know what you think.

Blind Frame
Canoe blind. Rear panel folds forward when shooting.
By Army of Dad - 8/21/2012 7:49:26 PM
Looks good, how do you keep it up out of the water while in transit?
By Zmac - 8/22/2012 3:53:30 PM
Not sure yet. Havet had it out on the water with the blind yet! :D I suppose I could fold the sides in uder the frame so they are inside the canoe.
By robkelley - 8/22/2012 8:28:07 PM
I hunt out of my canoe in the heaths up here in maine.  I keep my netting rolled up and stowed in my canoe until I get my decoys set and then once I drag my canoe into the vegetation on the banks of the lakes I then roll out the netting and then brush it up with more from around my setup.  I use my canoe as my layout blind then.  it works great to keep me warm and out of the winds.
By Trackmyer - 8/26/2012 7:17:29 PM
Zmac (8/22/2012)
Not sure yet. Havet had it out on the water with the blind yet! :D I suppose I could fold the sides in uder the frame so they are inside the canoe.

That looks great.  I use similar netting along with burlap netting and mine hangs over the sides bout same as yours.   I just let it drag in water most times.  The drag doesnt slow me down too much, and Im not out to set any speed records anyhow.

I do not have a frame on mine though. I have the netting ziptied to the crossmembers on front half and back half, and I sit in middle and paddle like in a kayak. I even use a kayak paddle.
By ckwllms66 - 9/16/2012 10:12:47 PM
My canoe blind. Similar concept works great. I even built a couple of outriggers since I hunt on bigger water sometime.
By ckwllms66 - 9/16/2012 10:17:20 PM
Here are the outriggers and the canoe before the facelift.
By Trackmyer - 9/18/2012 2:36:38 PM
ckwllms66 (9/16/2012)
My canoe blind. Similar concept works great. I even built a couple of outriggers since I hunt on bigger water sometime.

Wow, that has to be one of the sweetest canoe setups I have ever seen.  Very well done.
By ckwllms66 - 9/18/2012 8:10:12 PM
Thanks Troy!
By Swamper - 9/18/2012 8:59:27 PM
that is nice set up.  don't the outriggers interfere with your forward motion?
By ckwllms66 - 9/20/2012 7:18:59 PM
I can adjust the outriggers according to the weight in the boat. I usually set them so they ride a few inches above the water.  An occasional wave will cause them to drag a little.
By ESutter - 9/20/2012 10:21:23 PM
What did you use as the floats for your outriggers? I've thought about trying to put something together especially as everything manufactured is kind of pricey.
By ckwllms66 - 9/21/2012 8:48:23 AM
I used swimming pool noodles, the jumbo ones will support about 300lbs. I used PVC to make the supports and crossbar. Most people suggested I use EMT conduit but I like the flex of PVC. I have some pics I took during assembly. If you would like I can e-mail them since it's so difficult to post them here.
By ESutter - 9/21/2012 3:58:36 PM
Have you ever had your dog in and out of the boat while its out on the water with that outrigger? If so, how'd it do?
By ckwllms66 - 9/21/2012 7:50:34 PM
Works great with the dog. I have a small female lab. She sits just in front of where I sit in the canoe and doesn't move around. If she shifts to one side and causes the outrigger to dip in the water I just move her over. The object of the outrigger is not to ride in the water but to stop the canoe from tipping over. The out riggers could actually be set 6 or 8 inches above the water line and achieve this. They keep the canoe from reaching that "point of no return" where you will roll over. the pictures show them in the water I think. I usually set them higher. The canoe has sponsons built in to the hull and a keel so the outriggers are just an extra bit of insurance. All in all it is very very stable.