How to Make Jerkey in the oven?

http://www.wi.ducks.org/news-media/messageboards/Topic768473.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By drake 2011 - 6/10/2012 12:15:03 PM
I have a little goose left in the freezer and plan on making some jerky. I have a seasoning for it but no dehydrator and was just going to do it in the oven. How long should I make the pieces, Temp, and how long it takes and any other suggestions.

Thanks,

Jacob
By Critter - 6/23/2012 4:36:14 PM
here is what my dad and I do.  Make the strips 1/4 to 1/8 thick.  Season the meat next.  Then take some toothpicks and insert then at the end of the meat.  Next take a cookie sheet lined with tin foil and place at the bottom rack.  Then move the top rack as high as it will go.  Then take the strips of meat and hang them from the top rack over the cookie sheets.  turn on the oven to the lowest setting.  Most oven that I've seen are 250 degrees.  Then take an cloths pin and insert that inbetween the oven and the oven door.  Try to place it where the light button is.  That will dry the meat and not cook it if the door was closed all the way.  keep in there for 12 to 14 hours.  Put into an ziplock bag and then freeze it. 

The seasonings that we use are liquid smoke, salt and pepper.  After the meat is cut into strips, place into a bowl and add the liquid smoke, cover and place into the fridge.  After 12 to 24 hours place them onto an cookie sheet.  Insert toothpick then salt and pepper both sides of the meat.  Hang on the oven rack and proceed to dry.  Mighty fine eats right there.  Tear off a peace and place in your cheek and let the salvia do the rest.  You can suck on one peace for awhile, and still be able to blow your calls with out gumming up your call.  Give it a try and let me know if you like it or not. 

We use mostly deer, but it great with honkers and snows.  Haven't tried it with ducks yet.
By drake 2011 - 6/24/2012 9:59:52 PM
thanks might have to use the sause too.